Perindang Kristus

Friday, April 1, 2011

Pontianak Mission Trip 2011


Praise the Lord for my safe voyage to Pontianak and also for my safe passage return back to Brunei Darussalam. The Lord Jesus had sheltered me and secluded me from any harm that might transpire along the way of the mission trip. Even though a day before my embarkation to Pontianak, the evil one had tried to prevent me from going there by giving me some treacherous obstacle. But the Lord Jesus had kept me out of danger.



I give thanks to the Lord, for giving me the opportunity to be called for the missionary work in Pontianak and also for the spiritual experiences that I gained during those passed days serving at “ruko” with Ps. Martin, Sister Noridah, Aunty Janet, Aunty Betty and Aunty Grace.



My first impression of Pontianak was: “It is a cultural wakeup call” for the reason that I found out a lot of Dayak heritage is still firmly exist in all places throughout the city. I was a bit surprised that it resembles a lot more like the Iban culture in Sarawak in terms of the tribal art, the traditional attire and so forth. It is really startling to see all of that, and I finally discovered that the Iban heritage was originated from Kalimantan. So the history was there and surely it will be a good sharing for the G.Y.M.







From the first night at Pontianak, I met up with all the young adults at ruko, from my point of view they are very extraordinary and gifted young people. There is nothing that they can’t do in Christ alone. Ucok, Ana and Elisabeth are among the youth leaders and the Sunday school teachers that had attend the ADYC Leader’s retreat in Kuching 2010. As we comfortably seated at ruko, Ucok gave us the warm welcoming speech on behalf of Pak Ben who was not there due to his training somewhere in Bandung. Nevertheless, the praise and worship at ruko is simply excellent in terms of spirituality even though they only utilize a keyboard but the heart of worship was present, the music are all preset in the keyboard synthesizer consequently that it will produce a good quality sounding effect. The worship was pretty much alive when everybody stood up and giving their best to the Lord. Overall ruko can be a very good potential youth church since most of the members are youth & young adult. The young adults are the ones that are the most active on the reaching out part in comparison to the adult member.

In terms of church growth it needs to be improved for the elderly members. I witnessed only three or four members are adults but the majorities are youth & young adult. Definitely ruko need to have some pastoral effort to be conducted. Well one of the member name Pak Herman is one remarkable person. He had endured hardship in his life, the Lord had blessed him. His skull was badly broken when he tried to prevent an armed robbery in progress during his duties as a security. He testified that the Lord had saved his life. He is one of the dedicated members who haven’t consecrated himself to join the Anglican member at ruko because he is from another church called ‘Isa Al-Masih’. He is very faithful to the Lord and served Him with all his heart. He has an open view to join ruko. He also composed worship songs, play musical instrument and lead worship. I think that he will make a good lay-reader or worship leader for ruko.






During our visitation to Siantan (slump area) at a place for Sunday school called “The holy house of life”, there is a feeling of sadness reached out to my heart where I saw poverty empowers the land. A different side of life that I never encountered before seems to grab my nature sensitivity. What made this part so heartrending is that the unleveled stilt house, roof full of holes that I can imagined when the rain pouring down the water will be dripping all over the place and makes it a hell on earth to live in; the fact that the owner of the house is just a little girl surviving on her own. The empathy for the little girl was really depressing that made me call upon the Lord in prayer and from that moment I had learned a valuable lesson not to take everything in life for granted. I believe that the Lord always watched over her as she watched over the few dozen children there which they use her home as a class for Sunday school. In nature they are too young to have felt the hardship in life, yet they manage to wipe their sadness with a warm smile. The most remarkable things that I’ve seen in life that the effort that they made to minister to others in harsh conditions. The benevolent dictates the heart that serves the Lord with truth, hope and love.







As we continue our days in Pontianak, it came to one Sunday morning where we walked approximately 15 minutes away from our hotel to a nearby stilt house which is also utilize as a Sunday school class room. Aunty Janet and Aunty Betty had become a blessing to those children. Those children were so anxious to answer their questions because in return they will be receiving prizes. Once they were asked to pray, I was once again amazed of the heart that showed how intimately those children with Christ in their prayer. One small boy captured my attention, he was closing his eyes so tightly; holding his both hands so firmly and prayed with his immense heart to the Lord. It is a heartwarming situation for me, as I never encountered any children below the age of 6 would pray like an angel. It is truly a blessing to have experienced all of that. I know that there is a reason why the Lord called upon me for this mission and that is to serve and gain more faith; there is a purpose to be served here. Aunty Betty was so brilliant ministering to the children with the help of Aunty Janet, they were match made in heaven to be the children’s greatest blessing.

We had a long journey of endless prayers, we visited the members that had not been attending regular Sunday service at ruko and gave them encouragement and counseling. We prayed for the blessing of the Lord to be upon them.


Well some journey will come to an end somehow. During our last day in Pontianak we gathered in fellowship with the ruko members. We ate together in joyfulness as if that is the last time we ever see each other again. That night me and the three girls from ruko perform a musical collaboration involving guitar and tambourine in a sense of creative art. Sister Noridah had thought them how to play the tambourine while I on the spot accompany those three girls on the guitar part. Another new experienced for me playing another type of musical genre. It was overwhelming to worship the Lord using musical instrument, one of the very talents that the Lord bestowed in me.

I’ve learned so much during this mission trip. I’ve learned about life walking with Jesus, serving his people according to His will. The Lord had made a path for me long before I was born. He had planned something wonderful for me. I just need to listen to what He is telling me and He shall direct my path to righteousness for His glory.

Guard their hearts, Lord, keep them close to you. Lord, help me to show them what is right. I pray, Lord that they would grow strong in you. Thank you Lord for trusting me, guide me and teach me all your ways; and I will not fail to give You all of the glory and praise. In the name of Jesus, Amen

This prayer will always be the remnant of blessing from the Lord for the members of ruko at Pontianak.

No comments:

Post a Comment